Instead, on to the music. Of course, I really ought to get some more music on my computer so I don’t include the same songs all the time.
1) The Sames – Heartpine: I really like this little North Carolina indie band and they make some excellent music, I’ll give ’em 8/10
2) NOFX – Don’t Call Me White: It’s from Punk in Drublic and it’s California power-punk in all it’s glory. 7.5/10
3) Bright Eyes – I Woke Up with this Song in My Head This Morning: The latest poster child of indie music. It’s alright and the premise is kind of funny 6/10
4) Built to Spill – Linus’ Song: This song goes to 11! Nostalgia + excellent rock = good. If you don’t like Built to Spill, you’re just wrong. It’s live (bootleg, I believe) and the sound wobbles a bit so it goes back to a mere 10/10
5) The Neins Circa – Flo: One of my “pet” bands that I trot out whenever I need to cite a band no one else has ever heard. This song has a great narrative track and nice melody 7/10
6) In the Country – How to Get Acquainted: Norwegian piano trio playing interesting stuff. This song is rather minimalist with some interesting build-ups and tones. It always takes me a minute or two to switch out of rock mode (see previous six songs) but then I like it 7/10
7) The Postal Service – Clark Gable: I know, I know. But I love this song so dearly. It has the line “I kissed her in a style Clark Gable would admire (I thought it classic)” and the lyrics to this song (which I so rarely even pay attention to) are just so perfect. So… 8/10
8) The Polyphonic Spree – Middle of the Day: Not the strongest effort on their first CD. Kind of drags and the horns take a little while to find the proper tone. I’ll say 3/10 because I haven’t ragged on anything yet
9) The Amazing Pilots – I’ve Got Wings Irene: This is one of those songs I’m not even sure why I downloaded it. It Looks like they open for Pedro the Lion and that’s sort of what it feels like. Rather sedated rock. Not my thing and just not really impressed 2/10
10 ) Agentss – Agentss: Brazilian new wave precursors. I knew that download would come in handy. A weird intro and then some very keyboard-effect song that makes you understand why they are described like that. 7/10 so I end on a high note
6.5/10 –> I did good this week. At least I think so.
Tonight, some Kill Rock Stars bands and tomorrow SF local bands to start figuring out that “scene.”